SIMULCAST RACING CONTINUES AT AQUEDUCT,
FAIR GROUNDS, GULFSTREAM, HOLLYWOOD AND TAMPA BAY
$500,000 HOLLYWOOD STARLET AT BETFAIR HOLLYWOOD THIS SATURDAY
$1 MILLION LOUISIANA CHAMPIONS DAY AT THE FAIR GROUNDS
LIVE RACING RETURNS FRIDAY JANUARY 18
GREYHOUND CONTEST CONTINUES
Exciting winter simulcast racing continues at SHRP from a wide variety of thoroughbred, quarter horse, harness and greyhound venues including Aqueduct, Fair Grounds, Gulfstream, Hollywood, and Tampa Bay
Betfair Hollywood Park this Saturday features the $500,000 Hollywood Starlet (GI) and the $200,000 Bayakoa Handicap (GII).
Bob Baffert’s Executive Privilege is the one to beat in the Starlet. She has 5 wins in 6 lifetime starts. The lone loss was a second place finish in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies five weeks ago at Santa Anita.
In the Bayakoa, the leading contender is Executive Privilege who has 5 wins in 12 lifetime starts. She is best on synthetic surfaces. Her biggest win was the 2011 Queens Plate at Woodbine.
Louisiana Champions Day at the Fair Grounds provides $1 million in purses for 8 state bred stakes races. First Post is at 12:40PM.
SATURDAY DECEMBER 8 HIGHLIGHTS
Louisiana Champions Day from Fair Grounds
$500,000 Hollywood Starlet (GI) from Betfair Hollywood Park
$200,000 Bayakoa Stakes (GII) from Betfair Hollywood Park
$100,000 Sugar Swirl Stakes (GIII) from Gulfstream Park
$125,000 Jim Edgar Illinois Futurity from Hawthorne
$100,000 City of Laurel Stakes from Laurel Park
SUNDAY DECEMBER 9 RACING HIGHLIGHTS
$100,000 Vernon O. Underwood Stakes (GIII) from Hollywood
$125,000 Kingarvie Stakes from Woodbine
$125,000 Sir Barton Stakes from Woodbine
$200,000 Zia Park Distance Championship Handicap
$120,000 New Mexico Eddy County Stakes from Zia Park
CLICK HERE FOR A DAILY SIMULCAST SCHEDULE
LIVE RACING NOTES
Excitement is building at Sam Houston Race for the return of live thoroughbred racing on Friday January 18. Opening day is the start of Texas Champions Weekend.
The following weekend on Saturday January 26 is the $200,000 John B. Connally Turf Classic (GIII) and the all new $400,000 Houston Ladies Classic which is drawing nationwide attention.
Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin has indicated the next goal for Dance Card is the Houston Ladies Classic. Dance Card, owned by Godolphin Racing stables, won the Grade I Gazelle Handicap on November 24 at Aqueduct.
Meanwhile, at the Fair Grounds, Trainer Brett Calhoun is eyeing the Houston Ladies Classic for the likely return to racing of Summer Applause. Summer Applause won the Rachel Alexandra Stakes and finished second in the Fair Grounds Oaks last season.
Further adding to the mix is Joyful Victory who finished 3rd in the Grade II Falls City Handicap on Thanksgiving Day at Churchill Downs. Trainer Larry Jones has indicated future plans for Joyful Victory include a potential start in the Houston Ladies Classic.
Click here for more information on our 2013 live thoroughbred meeting.
GREYHOUND CONTEST CONTINUES
Congratulations to Teddy Jones who won $100 and the third preliminary round of the $2000 Houston Greyhound Handicapping Contest. Congratulations also to David Figueroa, Ava Cosey and Keith Nicholas who finished in the runner up positions. All four of these contestants now advance to the Championship Round on Saturday December 15. In the Championship Round, 16 people will compete for $1600 in prize money including $1000 for first place.
The final preliminary round is this Saturday and covers races 6 through 15 on the Palm Beach matinee card. Entry forms will be available at noon on Thursday at the Players Lounge Desk. The entry deadline for the third round is 1:15PM on Saturday.
Good luck to all and thank you to the Palm Beach for co-sponsoring this contest and providing hats to all participants.
“The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire.” Sharon Ralls Lemon
AQUEDUCT – 2012 FALL
- November 2 to December 31 (39 days)
- Racing 5
days per week --- Wednesday through Sunday (except racing on December 31 and no
racing from December 17 to December 25)
Post Time @ 11:20AM (except 11:30AM and 11:15AM on Breeders Cup Friday and
Saturday, 10:25AM on Thanksgiving and 11:00AM on Friday and Saturday November
23 and 24)
Guaranteed Late 50 cent Pick 4 every Saturday
- 21 stakes
races worth $3.2 million
November 11 --- New York Stallion Series
November 24 ---$350,000 Gazelle Stakes (GI) and $350,000 Cigar Mile (GI)
- Click here for a complete stakes schedule
- Aqueduct 2013
Winter/ Spring Meet begins on January 1 and continues through April 25
- November 8 to December 16 (24 days)
Thursday to Sunday
- Post time — 2:30 PM daily (Houston time) except 1:00 PM on Thanksgiving Thursday.
- 50 cent pick 4, pick 5 and super hi five
- 18 stakes races worth $3.95 million
- Grade I races include $250,000 the Matriarch on Sunday November 25, the $250,000 Hollywood Derby on Sunday November 25, the $500,000 Hollywood Starlet on Saturday December 8, and the $750,000 Cashcall Futurity on Saturday December 15.
- Click here for complete stakes schedule.
FAIR GROUNDS – 141ST THOROUGHBRED MEETING
- November 22, 2012 to March 31, 2013
- Thursday through Sunday until January 19, then Wednesday through Sunday with special programs on
Monday December 31, Monday January 21, and Tuesday February 12
- Post Times --- 1:00PM daily except 11:00AM on Thanksgiving; 5:00PM on Fridays January 18, February 1, February 22, March 1, March 8, and March 15; and 2:00PM on Saturday March 30.
- 56 stakes races (10 graded) worth $7.4 million
- Saturday December 8 ---Louisiana Champions Day
- Saturday January 19 --- Road to the Kentucky Derby Kickoff Day (includes $200,000 Leconte Stakes)
- Saturday February 23 --- Louisiana Derby Preview Day (6 stakes races including $400,000 Risen Star Stakes)
- Saturday March 30 --- Louisiana Derby Day --- (Includes $1,000,000 Louisiana Derby, $500,000 Fair Grounds Oaks,
$400,000 New Orleans Handicap, and $400,000 Mervin Muniz Memorial Handicap) 50 cent minimum on all trifecta, Pick 3, Super Hi 5, Pick 4 and Black Gold 5 wagers
Click here for calendar
Click here for complete stakes schedule
- Saturday December 1 to Friday April 5
- Wednesday through Sunday (except racing on Tuesday January 1, Monday January 21, and
Monday February 18; and dark on Wednesday January 2, January 23, and February 20)
- Post Time --- 11:45AM daily (Houston time)
- New Guaranteed 10 cent Pick 7 with mandatory payout
- 61 stakes races (33 graded) worth $10.1 million and Claiming Crown Championships worth $850,000
- Saturday December 1 --- $850,000 Claiming Crown Championship Day
- Saturday January 19 --- Florida Sunshine Millions Day
- Saturday January 26 --- $400,000 Holy Bull Stakes (GII) (Road to the 2013 Kentucky Derby)
- Saturday February 9 --- $300,000 Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap Stakes (GI), and $500,000
Donn Handicap Stakes (GI)
- Saturday February 23 --- $250,000 Davonna Dale Stakes (GII) and $400,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (GI) (Kentucky Derby Championship Series- First Leg)
- Saturday March 30 --- $1,000,000 Florida Derby (GI) (Kentucky Derby Championship Series- Second Leg)
Click here for completer stakes schedule.
Click here for a racing calendar.
SANTA ANITA 76th Winter/ Spring Meet
- Wednesday December 26 to Saturday April 21 (71 Days)
- Thursday (except December 26 and January 3) through Sunday plus Wednesday December 26, Monday
December 31, Tuesday January 1, Monday January 21 and Monday February 18
- First Post --- Noon on Opening Day and 12:30 on New Year’s Day, otherwise, 3:00 on Thursday and Friday
and 12:30 on Saturday, Sunday and Holiday Mondays except 1:00 on Super Bowl Sunday February 3
- 49 Stakes races (41 graded) worth $9.6 million
- Wednesday December 26 --- $300,000 Malibu Stakes and $300,000 La Brea Stakes
- Saturday January 26 --- Sunshine Millions Day --- 6 stakes races worth $1.15 million including the $300,000
Santa Monaca Stakes
- Saturday March 2 ---, $750,000 Santa Anita Handicap, $200,000 Las Virgenes Stakes, and $300,000 Frank
- Saturday March 16 --- $300,000 Santa Margarita Stakes
- Saturday April 6 --- $750,000 Santa Anita Derby and $300,000 Santa Anita Oaks
- Click here for complete schedule of stakes races
- Click here for calendar
- Saturday December 1, 2012 to Sunday May 5, 2913 – 91 Days
- Post Time --- 11:25AM daily (except 11:00AM on Saturday March 8 and Saturday May 4)
- Racing on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday through January 20 (except dark on Sunday
December 9 and 16); then Wednesday to Sunday through February 28; and then Wednesday, Friday,
Saturday and Sunday through end of meet.
- 25 stakes races including the $250,000 Sam F. Davis Stakes (GIII) (2013 Road to the Kentucky Derby)
on Saturday January 9, and the $350,000 Tampa Bay Derby (GII) (Kentucky Derby Championship Series—First leg) on Saturday February 23
Click here for complete stakes schedule.
Click here for calendar.
Click here for wagering menu.